Monday, February 20, 2017

Popayan (Recuerdo) - Week five

I think one gift (or skill or whatever you call it) is being able to read something one time and then years later being able to remember what it is that I read. I finished reading the Old Testament like a little less than a year ago and I literally only read it once (but it was a super detailed reading), and someone on Saturday asked me why some people say that its a sin to have your palms read and stuff like that and they were pretty insistent on why it was okay. And I suddenly remembered  that this exists in Chronicles 10:

 13 ¶So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the Lord, even against the word of the Lord, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to inquire of it;
 14 And inquired not of the Lord: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse.

So as soon as the question was asked I was able to open the Bible and explain that it's not good because we're asking man and not God, and they (also my companion) were pretty impressed. I was too since I literally had only read that scripture like one time before sharing it! haha.

Also, I was finally able to talk to my companion when some members and other missionaries noticed that he wanted me to do everything by myself, and he even said that I had to do everything by myself since I was senior companion. I guess he actually wants to work hard but thinks that he just has to follow me around and not make decisions, and since I had told him before that he had to put more effort into the companionship, and he didn't listen, I told this RM who just got back and the other missionaries to talk to him, and he ended up changing, which is nice.

We also ended up getting some eternal investigadors to go to church. Pilar, the mom of that one punk kid Sebastian finally went to church, since she always complains to us that her son is a punk and doesnt respect her, and how she wants him to go to church, and we were like, "Hey, what are you doing so that he changes?" And she said, "Nothing." And we proceeded to scold her and yell at her (not actually yell but I'm not sure how to say "regaƱar" without it sounding weird in English) and tell her that she needed to change so that he changes.....so she went to church! She just has a bunch of excuses of why she doesn't want to go like "I don't like it when the teachers ask me questions" or "I don't like to read in the classes" so I had to talk to the gospel principles teacher and tell him not to have her read or ask her questions.....but I guess it all worked out.

Also we're teaching this guy named Vicente, who's acually been going to church for a really long time, but can't get baptized since he's living with his "wife," (less active) and they're not married. They've been in the marriage process for a year, but since the marriage process in Colombia is trash, they probably won't get married for about another 6 months. He told us that this really hurts him and that this Sunday he literally felt like he wanted to cry because he can't take the sacrament. I think this is so cool because he's not even a member, and he understands so well the importance of the sacrament and its even hurts him knowing that he's not worthy to partake.  When I think many of the members treat in like the Sunday mid-meeting refreshment, and even a lot of people at BYU that I knew would take in unworthily, but Vicente, doesn't, and it hurts him. Vicente understands. I wish everyone understood like he does. So I told him that he should live somewhere else. He's going to talk it over with his (member) wife, and were going to call him in the morning. If he does take the decision to move out, he'll probably get baptized this Saturday.

Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment