Monday, January 30, 2017

Popayan (Recuerdo) - Week Two

We actually did get our energy back like last Monday night, so you don’t have to worry too much about that!

I’m thinking that we can probably baptize like 4 families this transfer (which would get me the prestigious "Captain Moroni" award. I got "Son of Mosiah" in Buga!) This area has a lot of potential, since there haven’t been good missionaries here since like, 2015!

We’re still working with the Jurado-Vasques family, the family of 4, and we actually taught the older daughter finally. We know that we have to baptize them this transfer, but every time we teach them, we don’t feel it....if you know what I mean. But they’re really good. The last lesson they even said that they know that the point of receiving us is to see if they like the church and then get baptized. They couldn’t go to church on Sunday because something happened with their parents in the hospital again, so I think it’s probably the Adversary working with them...

We found some old teaching records in the house (like 10 years old) and while we were looking for some of those people we found another family, Paola and her 11-year-old son Juan.  They said that the missionaries went to their house once (like 10 years ago) and never went back, or invited them to the church even, but they’re really cool and also want to get baptized! And they were also going to go to church on Sunday, got up early, got ready, and when they were about to go out the door, her aunts came for a surprise visit, so they felt bad and didn’t want to just leave them there so...I think again, somebody is working real hard so that they don’t go to church.

And then there’s Sonia and her daughter who are still really excited to go to church and are learning a lot, but on Sunday Sonia had a job interview (like, she just got out of jail like a month ago, so she really needs a job to be able to take care of her kid), so I guess what I’m trying to say is that nobody went to church but there’s a ton of potenctial here in EL RECUERDO!

We´re also working hard with this punk named Sebastian, (see picture) who’s active in the church, but does/says a ton of stuff that worries us. He’s like always talking to us about some girl that he hung out with on the weekend, and to be honest, they’re all kinda slutty, and he also has a bunch of  posters and notebooks with inappropriate pictures. The other day he was asking us stuff like if we broke the law of chastity before the mission, and how the repentance process was.  Also we are always helping him with homework and stuff, we really want the best for this kid, but he’s making it real hard to help him.

Hope Dad’s okay! But hey he got the rebound, so it was probably worth it. I actually bought a basketball the other day and we’re playing ball in the mornings with the district (I’m still the only American but this kid from the Phillipines is pretty good.)

I never heard back from president.  The problem that I have with Pres Pricoli is that he never responds to my letters. Like never. So this wasn’t an exception. Whatever, I’m still working hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment