Monday, April 11, 2016

Morichal - Week Two

This week was alright. I guess the main thing that I wanted to talk about was that we did divisions this week on Wednesday. Since I'm SENIOR COMPANION I had to go with our district leader, Elder S__. He's like, 18, and has like 5 or 6 months in the mission. So he doesn't really speak Spanish that well. Hes also really shy, but he's a good guy. But, we did the divisions, and I guess the area presidency said that the new way of doing divisions is that the leaders need to have the "model area" and that when we do divisions, both companionships have to stay in the "model area". So we lost a day of work in our area.

At the beginning of the day, I was being like, the normal missionary me that I am with my companions...I was contacting families in the streets, I was taking all the initiative in teaching the lessons, and since he didn't know the area that well, he had a list of directions of where the people live, and I was the one who like, looked for the houses, and if we knocked on the wrong house, I contacted the people that live there. I actually contacted this super sick family that I actually wish was in my area, because it is a mom (with no dad, so we don't have to deal with all the marriage stuff) and her 4 sons who are all in their 20's, and I was talking to the youngest who likes watching the NBA and playing street fighter and I was like, "Hey that's really cool because I like watching the NBA and watching street fighter too!" and we made that connection (after teaching the actual lesson of course...they're very receptive lol) So I hope that the other missionaries are doing good with them.

But the point is, is that I was doing almost everything by myself, and at like 5pm, I realized that this guy is supposed to be training ME and not the other way around...so I told him that, and then stopped taking the initiative in everything, and then the quality of the day just plummeted.  We would sit in a members house for 2 hours because he wouldn't start the lessons, and then after he wouldn't say "okay we have to go now." We stopped contacting people in the street, and if we went to a house and it WASN'T the house we were looking for, we just said "oh okay bye" instead of contacting them. And the worst part was is that when we got to the house, my companion, and his companion had bought movies and started watching movies, and I didn't say anything because I told the DL earlier "man, you're the district leader. When the district starts doing dumb things you have to tell them to stop!" 

So yeah. Then at the next morning I talked with him for a long time about how when I stopped contacting people, and taking the initiative he didn't do anything, and about the movies and stuff, and about how he still struggles with Spanish because he reads the scriptures every day in English...and stuff like that. It's frustrating.

The work in our actual area was pretty good. We had a lot of lessons, and I contacted a lot of people in the streets. We had a lot of people commit to go to church, but in the end nobody ended up going, So the baptismal dates that I put during the week fell through. you know. because they didn't go to church...but I'm assuming things will get a lot better. 

There's this one family in my ward who were in JAMUNDI (my first area) when I was there and they moved in like January. So that was really cool! I talked with them for a long time, and my converts in Jamundi are still active members!  

Yeah, so, love you guys.




No comments:

Post a Comment