Monday, August 3, 2015

Jamundi - Week One

So the first two days I had in the mission field I spent with the mission president and the assistants and stuff. We got to eat Dominos pizza and really nice food and what not. They explained a lot about the mission.  The mission is really small I think. We only have like three states or territories or whatever they're called in Colombia, the Valle, Cauca, and Nariño. The Valle is really hot, Cauca is perfect, and Nariño is really cold



Okay. My first area is called Jamundi, which is in the Valle, so its really hot and humid like all the time and I feel like I'm sweating all the time. Like I shower when I get home and wake up sweaty and come back home all sweaty. The best way I can describe Jamundi is that the nicest parts of Jamundi are like the worst and grossest parts of Vista. We have to sleep with nets over our beds too bedause the mosquitoes will come in and kill us, but everyone tells me that this is the best area in the mission in the best mission in the world, cuz this is where I was born, LOL. The best part about Jamundi is that the bread is super good, and there's a panera on like every corner, and you can buy like 10 things of bread for like 2mil! (which is like less than $1)

My Spanish is pretty okay. What the general consensus the people have on it is "he only understands a little, but he can speak really well" which is what I've heard people say a lot. But I'm pretty good at teaching lessons and stuff. We've taught a few, The only person so far that I've done all the work for (like contacted myself and taught a lesson--all the lessons except this have been with investigators that were already here) is this 17 year-old kid named Filipe, who is dating the daughter of a less active family. We taught him the first lesson and he was almost crying and whatnot. I really have high hopes for him!

My favorite area to go to is called Amigos 2000, which is like 20 minutes from Jamundi. Its like dirt roads and all the houses are just brick and concrete. Its really poor! I took pictures of the it and of Jamundi, But my companion erased all my photos when he switched the language on my camera to Spanish, so the only pictures I have are ones I took today! My trainer (or dad) is named Elder Bello, he's from Peru. I took pictures with him and stuff, but they got erased. He's a really cool guy and a good trainer. He knows a little English too, but I don't really like it when he speaks English to me because I really want to learn the language! But he tells me that I'm way better than every other newbie gringo, and all the families in the ward do too. 


Last thing I want to share is a cool experience I had. I normally take like 600 pesos in coins with me in case we ever need to make a phone call (We can't bring the phones outside the house). But on Saturday I was like, maybe I'll bring 1500, just in case, idk, it was a random thought and then when we took a bus from Terranova back to Jamundi my companion was short 1500, and guess who had 1500 pesos? Little things like that are really cool.


Love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment