Monday, May 23, 2016

Morichal - Week Eight

Yeah. The week was pretty good. We did have seven people go to church yesterday, which is the most I've ever had. Three of the seven were that family that has the dad working in the US, we finally were able to convince them to go! I don't know how. We went to go teach them Friday at like 8, but my companion suddenly got sick and was in the bathroom and got out at 9:45, (we have to be home by 9:30 by the latest) and we hadn't taught anything yet, and we were kinda like, "Well, they're already gonna yell at us for being late, so we might as well teach a lesson." So we taught a lesson and got home at 10:10 lol....but we called the mission president and explained to him what went down and he was pretty okay with it. And they went to church for it! Something funny that happened afterwords was that after church they like, went home and we stayed in the chapel talking to some other members waiting for ward council, and then one of the daughters came up to me and was like, "Hey, Elder Woodmansee do you want a cholado?" and I was like, "What, are you gonna give me one right now? You guys shouldn't buy things on Sundays!" And so everyone's giving us a hard time for not teaching them that...

Other lame thing, We started teaching this woman who goes to another church, I don't think I've ever heard of it before, but I guess they have like, home teachers also, because we were in the middle of a lesson and two women arrived with their Bibles while we were teaching the restoration, and the lady we were teaching is actually really receptive, but one of the women who showed up started saying a whole ton of nonsense about the church like "Joseph Smith was a good man who did a lot of things God told him to do but later he let the devil trick him and that's why they killed him, because he wasn't chosen by God anymore" and "Joseph Smith was actually a member of our church before he started his own." You could tell that she really just wanted to argue with us, but we were like, "Nah . . . we're just gonna share our testimony . . . it's chill." But this encounter made me realize that there's a lot of public confusion about the Book of Mormon, because everyone knows that were Mormons and they just think that the Book of Mormon is  "the book of us" which makes it seem like we just kind of wrote a book and named it after the religion, and now I understand why the general authorities don't want us to refer to ourselves as Mormons, do I make sense?

And one last thing, Saturday night at like 10:15 the bishop called me and was like, "Hey, Elder! You have to give a talk tomorrow in sacrament meeting. Thanks. Bye." And I was like, "Whaa?" so I had to stay up and write a talk all night....I talked about the vision of Lehi and the groups of people who were in the dream. I think it was pretty good. It was like 9 minutes long. I mean I guess if you want I can take pictures of it and send it to you if you want to read it but Zack would have to translate it, because it's in Spanish....

Hey, Blake can baptize people now!

Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment